Katitawa Code Of Conduct

Thanks to Polly we now have a “Code Of Conduct” for Katitawa. We have been working on the wording, in Spanish for several weeks now and there still may be some revisions. Here it is in English.

I will respect other people and treat them as I would wish to be treated. (The Golden Rule).

I will respect my school, community and environment and I will do everything I can to make them better.

I will be honest and I will respect the property of others.

I will do my best to learn and to allow others to learn.

I will accept responsibility for my own actions.

I will be myself and I will not be afraid to have my own opinions.

I will try my hardest every day to be the best that I can be.



Thinking about this new code of ours and what these words mean, I asked myself the question….Why do we wait until the university level to start teaching philosophy? Instead of answering myself I asked Google. I was astonished what came back. I found that I was not the first to ask this question. It turns out that teaching grade school kids philosophy has been going on for quite some time and with a lot of success.

The next obvious question was…..Why not here at Katitawa?

Thank you Polly for suggesting that we have a “Code of Conduct” for the school as it has opened up a whole new course of study that we will implement little by little this year and we hope to have a regular class for all children, ages nine and older starting in September. “Beginning Philosophy” or at least that part that deals with Ethics.

Today, six of the volunteers put on a three act skit, bringing to life two or three of the promises in the new “code”.
 
 
After each act Luis asked for comments from the kids on what was good and bad with the actions of the players. It was fun, funny and it made the kids think.

Comments